
MIAMI — The last member of a transnational robbery gang active in South Florida pleaded guilty on Monday for his involvement in a series of high-value jewelry heists that resulted in over $5 million in losses, according to federal prosecutors.
Leroy Ortega, 43, from Miami — who is also known as “El Enano” — confessed to taking part in several robberies aimed at jewelry couriers and salespeople. He was the final defendant among 11 charged in a broad federal probe dubbed Operation Boujee Bandits, which dismantled what officials referred to as a South American Theft Group operating within the Southern District of Florida.
Ortega admitted guilt to conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act robbery and two counts of Hobbs Act robbery. He could face a maximum of 20 years in prison when he is sentenced on May 1.
Prosecutors indicated that the theft ring was active from September 2019 until July 2021, executing robberies and participating in money laundering activities. The investigation led to three indictments and one criminal information.
Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva from the Justice Department’s Criminal Division stated that the crew specifically targeted American businesses and unsuspecting employees.
“This transnational theft crew came to the United States to steal from American businesses and preyed upon unsuspecting, hard-working citizens who were just trying to do their jobs as jewelry couriers,” Duva said in a statement. He described Ortega as playing “an integral role” in executing sophisticated robberies that resulted in millions of dollars in losses.
Authorities said the group focused on individuals they believed were transporting high-value jewelry, often surveilling victims as they left the International Jewelry Exchange or the Seybold Jewelry Building in downtown Miami. The crew allegedly rented vehicles using false identification documents to follow victims and, in some cases, brandished a knife-like weapon during the robberies.
According to court records, Ortega admitted to participating in two robberies.
On Oct. 16, 2019, Ortega and co-defendants targeted a man they believed was carrying jewelry. The victim was in fact a professional photographer who had been photographing jewelry. After following him to a shopping center, co-defendant Allan Lucas pushed the photographer while Ortega grabbed his case, which contained camera equipment and a computer. As the victim attempted to retrieve his belongings, Ortega reversed the getaway vehicle, causing the photographer to be thrown to the ground and injured, prosecutors said.
On Nov. 7, 2019, Ortega and several co-conspirators followed a jewelry salesman to his business in Miami Beach. Ortega smashed the vehicle’s windows while another member of the group grabbed a backpack containing approximately $125,000 in jewelry, authorities said. When the salesman tried to exit the vehicle, Ortega allegedly held the door shut, trapping him inside. Prosecutors said a rented vehicle used in the robbery was obtained with a fraudulent Venezuelan driver’s license.
All 11 defendants charged in the operation have now been convicted. Sentences imposed range from 57 months to 168 months in federal prison.
Special Agent in Charge Matthew Fodor of the FBI’s Atlanta Field Office said dismantling South American Theft Groups remains a priority.
“With our hardworking special agents, analysts, and professional staff triaging leads and sharing threat intelligence with law enforcement partners around the world, we’ve been able to efficiently and effectively disrupt these criminal groups,” Fodor said.


