
Several state attorneys general are celebrating a major legal victory after a court ruling forced the Trump administration to reinstate thousands of federal workers who were illegally fired during the early months of his administration. The ruling, issued on March 6, comes as part of a lawsuit led by New York Attorney General Letitia James and a coalition of 19 other state attorneys general, who had challenged the mass firings of probationary federal employees.
The court’s decision mandates that the Trump administration must reinstate the workers by March 17 and halt any further mass terminations of federal employees. The attorneys general argued that the administration violated federal law by firing the employees without providing the required advance notice to the states or the workers themselves.
“Federal workers dedicate their careers to serving our country,” said New York Attorney General James in a statement. “They go to work every day to keep our communities safe, provide healthcare to those in need, and more. The Trump administration’s illegal mass firings of federal workers are causing destruction and confusion throughout the country, and they must stop. I applaud this ruling that restores thousands of federal workers’ jobs, and I will continue to fight to protect our federal workforce and the services New Yorkers rely on from this administration’s chaos.”
Maryland Attorney General Brown shared in a press release, “President Trump blindsided Maryland when he fired thousands of federal probationary
employees without giving us the 60-day notice required by law. He jeopardized these employees’
financial security, threatened Maryland’s economy, and risked overwhelming our State’s ability
to help those who were out of work.This ruling not only requires the Trump Administration to stop these indiscriminate and unlawful
layoffs but also orders it to undo the harm inflicted on Maryland by restoring the jobs of
hardworking federal employees.These mass firings reflect a disregard for both the law and the essential role of the civil service
in maintaining government stability. Our Office is committed to upholding the rule of law and
will take every necessary legal step to ensure compliance with this court order”
“The Trump Administration’s callous and reckless mass firing of probationary federal employees has caused chaos and prevented these workers from providing critical services that affect the everyday lives of Americans, from offering support for veterans and farmers, to protecting our cherished national parks and public lands,” said California Attorney General Bonta. “I am pleased that the federal district court has promptly granted our request for a temporary restraining order, which will block the Administration’s unlawful mass firing directive and reinstate affected employees. I, alongside my fellow attorneys general, will be closely monitoring to ensure that the Administration follows the court’s order.”
The legal battle began after the Trump administration initiated mass terminations of probationary federal workers without providing them with proper notice, which is required by federal law in cases of mass layoffs. The United States District Court for the District of Maryland sided with Attorney General James and her coalition Attorneys Generals, granting a temporary restraining order (TRO) that reinstates those workers and prohibits further illegal firings.
Just days before, on March 13, James led another lawsuit against the Trump administration over the proposed dismantling of the Department of Education, which included the firing of approximately half of the department’s workforce. Earlier in the year, James had also taken action by supporting federal employees challenging harmful policies, such as the misleading “buyout” plan proposed by the administration.
The victory has been hailed as a significant win for federal employees and their rights. With the ruling, many workers who had been laid off since January 20 are set to have their jobs reinstated, offering them some relief after a period of uncertainty. This case highlights the importance of legal protections for federal workers and the ongoing efforts of state attorneys general to challenge actions they deem harmful to both workers and the public services they provide.
“I am grateful for the court’s order, which reinstates thousands of federal jobs for Massachusetts workers, including those who provide critical services that enable our state to function and thrive,” said Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell. “As our lawsuit proceeds, I will continue to stand up for our workers, protecting them from reckless actions that threaten both their rights and our state’s public resources.”
“The judiciary has played an important role in checking many of the Trump administration’s egregious violations of the law and the Constitution. But the damage being done by the administration is accumulating. It is imperative that steps be taken, where possible, to set a course to restoring the rule of law, constitutional governance, and the operation of programs that are vital to the well-being of communities across the country,” said Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser.
“This ruling requires the Trump administration to stop these indiscriminate and unlawful layoffs and also orders it to undo the harm inflicted by restoring the jobs of hardworking federal employees,” Attorney General Kwame Raoul said. “These mass firings reflect disregard for both the law and the essential role of civil service in maintaining government stability. I am proud to join my fellow attorneys general in seeking due process for the many federal employees, in Illinois and across the country, whose lives have been abruptly and groundlessly thrown into chaos.”
“Once again, a court has had to step in to stop lawless action from President Trump.
With this ruling, his unlawful mass firings have temporarily been reversed and the
disruption to the services these employees provide will be limited. We will continue
working to ensure that the law is upheld,” said Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul“