
A number of Attorneys General will obtain the complete federal education funding that the state is entitled to by October 3, as a result of a settlement reached after a multistate lawsuit spearheaded by Attorney General Kwame Raoul against the Trump administration.
This settlement addresses a legal conflict arising from the administration’s choice to halt funding for six established education programs just weeks prior to the beginning of the school year. These programs provide essential services in Illinois, such as after-school enrichment, adult education, workforce development, and instruction for English learners.
“This agreement is a step in the right direction, ensuring federal funds are released for essential educational programs across Illinois and the entire country,” Illinois Attorney General Raoul said in a statement. “I will continue to stand with other attorneys general to prevent Illinois students and their families from feeling the impact of the president’s unlawful acts that jeopardize needed educational programs.” Raoul emphasized that the outcome ensures schools and students will not suffer delays in funding for vital programs. “Our students deserve the educational resources promised to them,” he said. “This agreement guarantees that those promises are kept.”
“The Trump Administration upended school programs across the country when it recklessly withheld vital education funding just weeks before the school year was set to begin,” said California Attorney General Bonta. “Fortunately, after we filed our lawsuit, the Trump Administration backed down and released the funding it had previously withheld. Today’s agreement ensures the rest of this funding is released, as scheduled, in October, successfully resolving our lawsuit. Over the past six months, state attorneys general have been a bulwark in the fight against the Trump Administration’s reckless and illegal efforts to slash, withhold, or condition federal funding, and we are not taking our foot off the gas. Our kids deserve so much better than what this anti-education Administration has to offer, and we will continue to fight to protect them from this President’s relentless attacks.”
On July 14, state attorneys general formed a coalition to file a lawsuit, contending that the funding freeze was unconstitutional and in violation of federal law. This legal action questioned the administration’s decisions based on federal funding laws, the separation of powers, and the Presentment Clause, which outlines the process for enacting laws and allocating funds.
Imposed on June 30, the freeze posed a risk to vital educational services throughout Illinois, affecting support for migrant students, enhancements in classroom technology, teacher training, and community learning centers that provide both academic and extracurricular activities.
On July 18, the U.S. Department of Education notified Illinois that it would start releasing the frozen funds during the week of July 28. The state has since received confirmation of grant awards that cover the total amount that was supposed to be distributed on July 1.
“I am relieved that these unlawfully held funds will finally be released to schools as students return to the classroom,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said. “This agreement is yet another example of how these lawsuits are making a real difference to Michigan families. I remain committed to working alongside my fellow Democratic attorneys general across the country to stand up against illegal federal actions and to fight on behalf of our residents.”
“I’m glad to dismiss one of the twenty-five lawsuits I’ve had to file against the Trump administration for breaking the law and essentially stealing from the people of Arizona, like in this case, funding for our public schools,” said Attorney General Kris Mayes. “If the President stops acting like he’s above the law and harming Arizonans, these lawsuits will stop accordingly. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like he’s stopping.”
“From the beginning, we made clear that the Trump Administration’s freeze of funding for after-school programs, children with special needs, and other critical programs was blatantly illegal. In resolving this lawsuit today, we are proud to fully restore this funding and deliver a quick and favorable resolution for our state ahead of the start of the 2025-2026 school year” said New Jersey Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin. “We will always stand up for students, families, and educators across New Jersey, and we will never let this Administration get away with clawing critical federal funding away from our best-in-the-nation education system.”
With the Trump administration now consenting to release the remaining funds by October 3, both parties have jointly requested to dismiss the case. This agreement provides complete relief to Illinois and the other states involved in the lawsuit.